Jharkhand Government Accepts Students’ Demands, Student Leader Devendra Nath Mahato Ends Hunger Strike

Tuesday, August 18, 2026 - 02:28
0
Jharkhand Government Accepts Students’ Demands, Student Leader Devendra Nath Mahato Ends Hunger Strike

Ranchi: Student leader Devendra Nath Mahato ended his hunger strike after the Jharkhand government accepted the key demands of protesting students and cancelled the JSSC-CGL examination. The decision marked a major development in the ongoing student agitation over alleged irregularities in the recruitment examination.

Jharkhand Minister Irfan Ansari said student leaders Devendra Nath Mahato, Umme Habiba and Rahul Kranti voluntarily ended their hunger strike after the government accepted their demands. The ministers helped them break their fast by offering them juice.

The protesting students had been demanding the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and a CBI probe into alleged irregularities. Six protesters had been on hunger strike during the agitation.

Congress leader Rahul Gandhi had also written to Chief Minister Hemant Soren, urging him to personally meet representatives of the protesting students and take appropriate steps to address their concerns.

Speaking after ending his hunger strike, Devendra Nath Mahato described the development as a “huge victory for Jharkhand”. He said the struggle had begun on July 2 and that the hunger strike had entered its 16th day.

Mahato said that following a meeting with Chief Minister Hemant Soren on July 20, a CID inquiry was initiated on July 28. He said the investigation was being conducted thoroughly and that no one would be spared, including high-profile officials.

He thanked the Jharkhand government and Chief Minister Hemant Soren for taking what he described as a difficult decision to cancel the examination, particularly because the recruitment process had already reached the joining stage.

Mahato also thanked Rahul Gandhi, ministers, MLAs, students, media organisations, social activists and people who supported the protesters during the agitation.

While announcing the suspension of his protest, Mahato said his broader fight for reforms in the education system would continue. He stressed the need for a system in which paper leaks and examination irregularities do not occur.

According to Minister Irfan Ansari, Mahato, Umme Habiba and Rahul Kranti underwent medical examinations after ending their fast and were reported to be in stable condition, with their blood pressure and blood sugar levels within normal limits.

What's Your Reaction?

Like Like 0
Dislike Dislike 0
Love Love 0
Funny Funny 0
Wow Wow 0
Sad Sad 0
Angry Angry 0
RNI News

Reportage News International (RNI) is India's growing news website which is an digital platform to news, ideas and content based article. Destination where you can catch latest happenings from all over the globe Enhancing the strength of journalism independent and unbiased.

Comments (0)

User